Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Graduation.. It's Time for Celebration!

Each year thousands of students graduate from college around this time of year. This year my younger brother, Michael Vollrath, was one of these graduates from MIAD (Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design). He graduated with distinction with a degree in Interior Architecture. Interior Architecture is a cross between Architecture and Interior Design. This year the ceremony was held at the beautiful Pabst Theater in downtown Milwaukee.


The cap & gown that are traditionally worn by graduates are Medieval/European in origin. During Medieval times, they did not have heat like we do today (obviously), so the long gowns helped to keep them warm (they sure were not made out of that cheap material that they are today haha). The cap, which is also known as the mortar board, has been the official dress of scholars. It was originally a flat hat that was rounded or with several corners and was commonly knitted or made of velvet. Today, it has continued to be a tradition in high schools, colleges, and university graduations.
It was such a blessing to spend the day with my family! I chose a navy and white theme for my outfit that day. The navy cardigan is one that I purchased several years ago from Abercrombie & Fitch, during my time employed there. I get so much use out of it, because it is such a great basic!
 This graduated striped button up blouse is one of my new favorites from Dressbarn. The graduated stripes have been seen a lot recently in dresses and blouses and can be very flattering because of the different thicknesses. The pop of color in this outfit, my new Kate Spade Wellesley Martine (retails for about $250), was purchased on Vinted for only $65! It was a beautiful day for such a wonderful occasion. I am so happy I was able to be a part of it :)

Congratulations to all of those who have graduated this year!! 

<3 CMM

No comments:

Post a Comment